>>>>> Remember: I speak my mind here. If you don't want to see it, don't read it. Consider yourself warned. <<<<<


Saturday, January 10, 2004

I have this tree out my deskside window. It's past our privacy fence and beyond the evil pot-smoking neighbors' yard to our rear. In fact, I think it's across the street from them. But from here I can see it standing there over the barriers and climbing into the telephone cables. I don't know what kind of tree it is admittedly, but I have a fascination with it just the same. I'll find myself leaning back in my chair and just staring at it or I'll pause whatever I'm at in the kitchen and look out the sliding glass doors at it and just zone out.

During the summer the leaves are a nice green as is most flora here in Florida. However, when the fall comes and most other trees or bushes here just stay green or turn a dull brown this one deepened to a lovely red. What a vibrant red it was too. In fact, it was one of the deciding factors in the color I wanted to paint the kitchen. Later the leaves turned a bright yellow. It happened almost over night. I remember coming downstairs and heading into the kitchen to take my vitamins one morning and as I turned to swig my water the yellow jumped out at me through the blinds. I stared at it for a while before continuing with my daily pill-taking routine. I don't know why, but there is a certain solace in that tree for me. It's mine alone in the house and no one can touch it. I love that tree.

I'm sure one day someone will cut it down.

No comments: