>>>>> Remember: I speak my mind here. If you don't want to see it, don't read it. Consider yourself warned. <<<<<


Tuesday, October 24, 2006

A New Appreciation

Music at the Moment: Justin Timberlake - "Let me talk to you/My Love"

Anyone that knows me knows that I am NOT a Justin Timberlake fan. I liked "Cry me a River" and almost all of his new CD (Except that god awful crappyback sexycrap song) chiefly due to Timbaland's involvement. (Love me some Timbaland!) I've never understood the general gay fascination with how incredibly hot he is (yech!) nor how it's implied that he's so far beyond his fellow N-Sync members (In fact, I loved JC Chasez' last CD, which interestingly enough was VERY similar to this latest Timberlake release and well before it.)

Well, I was pleasantly surprised to hear the other day that the second release from the new Timberlake CD was "Let me talk to you/My Love" which I really like. However, I can like the song and still not be terribly impressed by the "performer".

So I went to bed last night and, as is custom, flipped on the television to wind down before actually drifting off. Surfing I landed on VH-1 to watch the end of some video that I can't recall now. I figured I’d cut it off after it ended and hit the hay. As it ended I heard the music for Timberlake's new tune so I said "eh, I’ll se how he showcases in this one and does little else". Pretty much the first half of the video was as I expected. Flashy set, Timberlake walking around in a suit trying to look all mature and cocky with some minute little "look I have rhythm" moves here and there.

Then we transition to the second half of the video.

I sat up in my bed and watched the remainder of the video with slack jaw. I was returned to a day when I would perform every weekend with my dance partner Snowy and lived for the next Janet Jackson video because I knew it would be on time. Admittedly, this new Janet album is fun and that made me happy, but the "So Excited" video, while decent and dancey, is not the caliber I’ve wanted back from Janet since the days of Rhythm Nation and Janet.

This video delivered what I’ve wanted for so long. The choreography is tight with a capital flawless and made me want to ring Snowy and say "Okay, this is the next routine we're doing". Kudos to Justin and the choreographer. I will certainly pay more attention to you from now on.

Here is a link to the VH-1 video list. You can pick Justin on the right menu to play the video. Make sure you right click the screen of the video to put it on fullscreen. Then you can see the sublime moves up close.

Timberlake Video

No comments: